Monday, September 05, 2011

People Watching

My dear sister-in-law likes to talk about car-spotting. Well, cars are great and all, but I really don't know enough about them to appreciate the hobby, so I just play my own version: clothing-disaster-spotting.

There is, very possibly, no better place to enjoy this pastime than a county fair. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm not about to pick on the legitimate fair people in their boots and flannels, or even the country people in last decade's Walmart bargains. Oh, no. Why descend to petty, income-based mockery when there are targets aplenty?

Take, for instance, the woman walking around with the bottom of her t-shirt tucked up under the edge of her bra. That encounter had the potential to be scarring, except that she had the waist of her pants pulled up to the bottom of her rib cage. That just took it from indecent to inconceivable.

Being newly arrived in Wisconsin, I was delighted to see the men walking around in camouflage Packers jerseys. Really? This isn't Minnesota; there's no need to hide your loyalty. There was a whole display of Packers-themed 4-H homegoods projects, for crying out loud.

Also, a fair classic, was the "skunk" hair phenomenon. Dark hair, light roots; light hair, dark roots; light hair, dark tips; dark hair, light tips, etc.

But, oh. You simply have not LIVED until you have seen the glow-in-the-dark tie-dye t-shirt stand advertising sized L through XXXXXL.

3 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Since I know the Fair at which you were, I'm laughing. Really, really hard. It's a demolition derby of tastefulness.

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

Hey--We fat people are entitled to wear tacky glow-in-the-dark tie-dyed clothing, too! *wink*

Don't mind me. I'm just trying to figure out how to grow a mohawk. I wonder if it's possible to put Rogaine on just one stripe of my bald spot. How would I keep it from spreading?