Thursday, October 14, 2010

...in Which We Bring Order Out of Chaos

Proof that I have the best little brothers ever: they still like me after 1) I woke them up this morning and 2) made them clean for 4 1/2 hours.

When I came downstairs this morning I was feeling a little peevish and restless. None of my usual pursuits sounded at all interesting and I was at risk for sitting in front of my computer all day, waiting for something to happen. (Not that I would ever do that.) So, instead of wasting any more of my time wandering around in circles, I decided that I would put my time to good use. If I'm going to be bored anyway, why not clean? I turned on my iTunes "cleaning mix" and got to it. Windows: cleaned. Screens: swept. Curtains: vacuumed. Floors: swept. Woodwork: dusted. Furniture: swept, fluffed, and dusted as needed. (You might say my mother did raise me to be a cleaning lady.) And voila! My churlish lassitude evaporated and I felt invigorated and useful!

My poor brothers were the real victims of my fey mood. They were pressed into service and--before they could even eat breakfast--found themselves cleaning the kitchen, washing dishes, straightening the family room, vacuuming, and doing laundry. (And wearing ruffled aprons, but that's beside the point.) Even with all of that, they retained their sunny and chipper dispositions. Patrick, having school, missed out on all of this cheerful usefulness. He'll pay later.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Oh, no! Dear Bethany, I've apparently inflicted you with my own disease.

I'm so sorry.

GRA said...

I could almost feel fresh air while reading this -- what a nice welcome home for your mother!!!

Did you happen to be wearing your 50's dress? That's the image that formed in my brain ;)