Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Odds and Ends

I got my hair cut short again today, and it's a good thing I did. My 'do was creeping into "I don't care what my hair looks like as long as it stays out of my face" territory. Practical, but sad. It probably didn't help that work was super busy in the last few weeks and I haven't had the time or energy to think about primping. (Actually, the only thing I seem to have had the energy or desire to do after work is sit around on the sofa in my pajamas, watching Jane Austen adaptations and knitting while my cat sleeps in my lap. You see the problem. This haircut came none too soon. The hairdresser said that it was a very young style, so maybe it can prevent me from turning into a pitiful cat lady.)

Speaking of watching Jane Austen adaptations.... I heartily approve of the new BBC version of "Emma." Patrick and I watched the first two episodes on PBS and, by the time we were halfway through, I got on to amazon.com and ordered the DVD set. We watched the whole thing (all 4 hours) yesterday evening and I went off to bed grinning like an idiot.

Sorta kinda related, KUDOS to my little brother, who is slogging his way through "Wuthering Heights." He's going to finish it on his first try. It took me four or five attempts-- and four or five aerial trips across the room for Heathcliff and Cathy--before I forced myself to finish it. The agony. (Agony. I suppose that it an appropriate response to that book.)
Anyway, bravo Patrick for having a stronger tolerance for self-indulgent idiocy than I do. Your next challenge is to make it through anything by Henry James and to fill me in on how you did it. In return, I'll let you borrow--and write in--my copies of Machiavelli and the Federalist Papers. Deal?

6 comments:

Anan said...

*sigh* Haircut... I hate that "I don't care what it looks like as long as it stays out of my face" feeling. Makes me feel even worse about my less than perfect complexion. And ditto on sitting around in PJs watching Jane Austen.

Elephantschild said...

I'd have to check w/ my brother, but I don't think you pass into cat-lady territory until the fourth or fifth cat. There's an algebraic equation somewhere that takes into account the make of your car, number of cats, your profession, and the number of bumper stickers on said car. Oh, and the extent of ridiculous veterinary measures you're willing to submit the cats to to keep them alive past all reason. Mustn't forget that part.

I desperately want to love James Joyce, but I've been able to make it through one of his books.

Emily said...

I've read Henry James, twice. I'm still angry at him.

I'm so glad you got the new version of Emma. Now I can borrow it. =) I have no cats, so I am perfectly secure about watching long escapist TV productions. I tried to watch it on PBS and my antenna fuzzed out in the middle of the most interesting scenes. I did love how they made Emma into a younger, less annoying character.

Jacqui said...

Oh, Bethany ...

GRA said...

Coincidence -- Just yesterday I resolved to read "Wuthering Heights," and now I'm not at all sure I'd make it through. One of the selections the opera apprentices did was from WH. It was the only number that was almost painful to listen to; I thought I might have a greater appreciation for the music if I read the book - - maybe not - -

Hannah said...

I re-read "Wuthering Heights" after a space of 5-7 years. The style I like, mostly, but what was most striking was the narrator's splendid ability to make me thoroughly annoyed at EVERY character by the end. Every. Single. One.