Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Live from Sydney Australia via Fort Wayne, Indiana it's Thursday on Wednesday!

I'm in Sydney. Wow. After 24+ hours traveling, I'm very glad to be firmly planted on the ground, even if it is on the other side of the world.

My flights were uneventful. Uneventful= good. I was situated next to the windows for every flight, so I got to see some astounding scenery from the air. I flew from Indianapolis to Denver, and from Denver to L.A. The view coming out of Denver was breath-taking. The mountains started off dark and prickley looking, covered with pine trees, which eventually gave way to expanses of snow and gorgeous peaks. Some of the snow must have been melting, because there were streams and lakes everywhere. When the sun peeked out from behind the scattered clouds, the water would flash blindingly for a moment, and then disappear into the shadows again.

Part way over the mountains, the clouds took over and all interesting vistas were temporarily lost. I retreated into my book, and forgot about scenery. A little while later I recalled that my mother had flown over the Grand Canyon, last time she traveled through Denver, so I decided to keep a look out for that. Sure enough, when I glanced out the window, there it was! I had never seen any part of it before, except in travel shows, and the sheer size of it took me by surprise.

Switching planes when I got to LAX was a major pain in the rear, but I survived it. I think I need a shirt. "I survived LAX." Yeah.

I had an entire row to myself for the flight to Sydney
(yessssssssss!!!!) so I was able to stretch out completely and get some sleep. It was only 6 hours of sleep, which in any other case would be nothing, but on a 13-14 hour flight, it was wonderful. I watched "Walk the Line" and started to watch "The Producers" but gave up because my concentration was shot, so I went to sleep.

We got into Sydney around 6:15 am, local time. I'm not even going to try to figure out what time that is back home. My Aunt and Uncle were waiting for me right outside of customs, and they immediatly whisked me over to the coffee shop, where I got some liquid sustenance. Now, I'm at their house, taking over my aunt's computer.

I may describe Sydney later, at least the part I've seen.
Right now, I'm going to go visit some more.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love seeing the Grand Canyon from the air. I was amazed at how huge it was, too.

Unknown said...

Hi.Thanks for the great information.gain very good knowledge.

Regards

Sydney landscapes