Monday, May 01, 2006

I was sitting here just now, staring idly at the computer screen when a thought came upon me. "Maybe," I thought to myself, "just maybe, rather than sitting here staring idly at the computer screen, I could write something for my poor, lonely little blog."

So here I am.

I had my first final of the week this morning. It was for art history and was actually a lot of fun (and also very easy.) I'm sorry that class was over. Even getting into postmodern art, as we did in the last week, the class was fascinating. (Although, I think the Matthew Barney video was a little much-I may be scarred for life. But then, he is married to Bjork, after all. I should have been prepared for something unspeakably bizarre.)
I will say, postmodern art is much more interesting than modern. I've never been able to make myself like much of anything painted after WWI, and I spent the last few weeks of class wishing I could strangle Marcel Duchamp. Not that I don't appreciate modern art. I understand what the artists were trying to do and, in most cases, I respect their skills, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I'm the sort of shallow person who prefers the Pre-Raphaelites.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Don't forget the Impressionists... combined with the Pre-Raphaelites, my art taste is set for life.

Medicus Cantus said...

Matthew Barney...yeah, he's about as strange as you can get.
See, I'm kinda the opposite of you as far as art goes. I can appreciate early artists, but anything pre-20th century kind of...bores me. Well, I like the Impressionists... some of them, at least. Earlier art IS good, of course, I just...never liked it much. I can never spend much time in a gallery that has "old" art...freakish me ;)