Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Thank You Notes

I love thank you notes. I love picking them out, I love writing them, I love receiving them. For the most part, I have had a lot of fun doing the thank yous for our wedding gifts. Evan and I turned on some music, sat down, and knocked over half of them out one evening last week.

When I woke up this morning, I decided to use my day at home, alone, to get the rest of them done.

Did you know you can have thank-you-note-writer's-block? I sat down, picked out the first name, picked up the pen and...nothing came out except. "Thank you." What else to say? This normally comes so easily. Today, though, nothing. It took me two hours to get nine notes written. Then they sat in a little pile, mocking me and egging me on. By the time Evan got home at 2:00, I had been at it for 5 hours straight and only gotten 30-some notes written (which means my rate had improved, but not enough) and my hands were cramping.

My reward was that we ran to the post office to get more stamps and stopped at Starbucks for pumpkin spice lattes on the way home. And everything was better, because I was out in the sunshine holding yummy coffee with one hand and my husband's hand with the other.

Tomorrow's tasks: finishing the notes for which I was missing addresses, calling a piano tuner, and getting a bus pass. If any of those should produce blog-worthy results, an update will follow.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Kittens help with thank-you writer's block. I have a picture to prove it! They sit on your lovely blank cards and suddenly everything you want to write is itching to come out, but you don't want to move the adorableness. I swear this is true!

Cheryl said...

Pumpkins spice lattes are back? Thanks for the tip! I love those things!

Melody said...

Unrelated to thank you notes...I am reading your blog, and, after I finish, I click on the little note at the top that says, "Next Blog." Two "next blogs" later, I am into a raft of foreign-language blogs. Looks like Indonesian. Wonder what the connection is?