Wednesday, November 11, 2009


My mother met me outside the building after work this evening. We skittered on over to J.K. O'Donnell's --skittered because my mother did not think to wear her coat and the air was getting nippy as the sun set. Our plan was to do dinner before a 6:30 presentation and book-signing at the library. OF COURSE, beer was expected to be part of dinner. It's a pub (albeit a really nice one). Pub = beer.

Our waiter was so obliging as to choose our drinks for us from their vast menu of fancy-pants imported beers. It's a good thing he did, because I could have spent the entire evening trying to figure out what I wanted. For my mother, he picked Dragon's Milk, to go with her fish'n'chips. When told that I don't care for overly hoppy beers, he chose Belhaven Wee Heavy. It was seriously delicious. And strong. And it went really well with shepherd's pie.

4 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Oh! that looks really good! (I've enjoyed other Scottish ales that I've had.)

If you need a towel instead of a putty knife to clean up a spill of it, it's not dark enough for me. :)

Jane said...

I thought about you when we were there. They have an incredible selection of beers. Next time you visit. :)

Bethany said...

That would be way too much fun.

Adriane said...

Sigh. You're so much better than me. I just drink the raspberry lambic, which is really just juice with a little alcohol. I'll never, ever be able to drink beer like an adult.